How can you embrace short hair trends without sacrificing personal style? Trends are what push the tides to the shore. Some stay too long and wear out their welcome, while others come and leave their impression and it’s all good.
Here’s the thing, you gotta stay in your lane with trends. This doesn’t mean you can’t partake, it just means you gotta be self-aware so you don’t end up out here looking crazy in these short hair streets. #outintheseshorthairstreets.
Today, I’m going to walk you through how to take advantage of the parts of the short hair trends that will work for you. I will show you how to identify what those parts are and how to maximize them with ease. So, let’s go.
HOW TO EMBRACE SHORT HAIR TRENDS
First up, understand the difference between a true trend and something that one or two ‘cool’ people are doing. If a few of the cool kids are doing something, and it catches your eye, watch it for 4 weeks. If it catches on and you see it start to spread beyond one group, it’s probably a trend.
A trend will have a different shelf life depending on a million different variables, so tread lightly, but be quick. If you want to rock it, jump on it or risk missing the wave. That being said, keep reading to find out how you determine whether or not the trend will fit into your world.
These are the things. All of the things, that you need to consider before you try to embrace short hair trends and incorporate them into your day-to-day.
- Does the trend fit into your lifestyle? (you work at a corporate job and you want to dye your hair purple – girl bye – this ain’t for you!)
- How much transition will it take to get to the trend? You have a super short pixie and you want a bang down to your chin. Ok, you can take 9 months to grow your hair out, but the boat will have long since left the dock, boo.
- To follow number 2, can you cheat it? You could easily add in a couple tracks and take advantage of the trend. You could enjoy it, ride it out and then toss it when you’re done. No harm, no foul.
- Is it age appropriate? You are 45 and out here trying to pull off the same style you saw Kylie Jenner rocking. No ma’am. The fact is that, most trends or styles can be adjusted slightly, to make them age appropriate for you. So, instead of trying to replicate something that will make you look like you’re trying to reach back to your youth, figure out how to incorporate elements of the trend that fit into your real life age, style and aesthetic. Trust me, it’s much better to look sophisticated and trendy like Iman, than to be out here looking like …you know the ones who are trying to hold on to 2 decades ago.
- Does it fit your overall aesthetic? Here is the main one. If you have to adjust your ENTIRE aesthetic in order to take advantage of a trend, that means you should pass on that particular one. Trends come and go and there will be more. You can take advantage of another one. No need to force it.
- If you have chocolate skin and the trend is to wear white eyeshadow, then don’t do it. Just let it pass and be on the lookout for the next trend. As for short hair trends, if you have super thick and dense hair and the trend is to wear your hair slicked back, it will likely not work for you.
- Your current aesthetic probably consists of styles that take advantage of your hair’s density, so you would have to jump through all types of hoops to try and recreate a look that doesn’t suit your look.
These are the best tips for a quick way to determine whether a short hair trend is for you er nah. It’s not an exhaustive list, but it’s a great go-to reference. Just quickly ask yourself these questions the next time you get amped about a new short hair trend.
It will take you less than 5 minutes and it could help you avoid misrepresenting out in these short hair streets.
Watch the videos below for some trendy short hair styling ideas. You’ll find something you like and something that works for you.
Subscribe for more short hair styling and short hair care tips as well as 4 FREE downloadable short hair DIY resources. Subscribers to the site also get access to exclusive content and discounts on eBooks, short hair products and upcoming apparel.
Until next time…I’ll holla