Thinking outside the box is what got me to where I am today. Doing my own short hair. Cutting my own short hair. Dying my own short hair. Everything. I learned how to create the shape I wanted on MY hair, by thinking outside the box. So, let’s talk about outside the box short hairstyles.
Here’s the thing with short hair. It can get old if you don’t consciously keep your intentions set on thinking outside the box. To avoid boredom, I allow myself to look at hairstyles of all lengths. Then when one catches my eye, I sit and I think and I usually figure out a way to make it work. There are times when I simply can’t do it, but 90% of the time, I end up with with what I want.
In this post I’m going to tell you how to jump start your mind when it comes to brainstorming new hairstyles. I’m going to give you three challenges for the next 30 days that will help keep you on your toes, and I’m going to show you how I did two outside the box hairstyles that the average short hair wearer would swear you up and down was impossible to create on a pixie. We’re going to go from same old same old to how far we can push this damn envelope – without looking crazy. You don’t wanna be out here in these short hair streets looking crazy.
HOW TO JUMP START YOUR MIND AND CREATE OUTSIDE THE BOX SHORT HAIRSTYLES
- The first thing you want to do is go through your favorite magazine, Instagram account or Pinterest pages and look at all the long hairstyles. Don’t limit yourself by only looking for short hairstyles. The trick with this is to make sure you’re looking for styles that are done on long hair. Styles that are created on hair that is slightly longer than your own, are super hard to recreate. But, with longer styles, adding tracks or extensions is pretty easy. Check out my Pinterest Board with all length hairstyles KAYEWRIGHTPINS
- Another thing that helps get your creative juices flowing, is to watch natural hair videos. The differences is textures is usually the only thing that differs between long relaxed hairstyles that go hard and long natural hair styles that are stunning.Plus, natural hairstyles sometimes call for gel, which helps when you are a bald headed scallywag and you’re trying to pose as a long-haired IG thot. Know what I mean?
- The last tip I have for you is to tell you to simply reminisce. Think about the styles you wore and loved before you joined the short hair crew and began showing your #PIXIEPRIDEMany times you will find that you still like those styles and when you’re bored, revisiting them can bring you happiness and it will keep you from doing crazy things to your short hair that may be damaging in the long run.
3 CHALLENGES TO TRY OVER THE NEXT 30 DAYS FOR OUTSIDE THE BOX SHORT HAIRSTYLES
1. Find 3 long hairstyles you love;
2. Pick a weekend when you can try out something new;
3. Go for it! Try to come up with a way to make your short hair work in the longer style. Even if you fail, I bet you learn something you can still use in your DIY hair care.
Need some inspiration? Here’s my recent out of the box hairstyle.
Let me know how it turns out. Come back and leave a comment or you can email me at email@example.com. Download the free short hair DIY resources by subscribing to the email list below.
Until next time…I’ll holla!